Sunday 29 December 2019

Back from Unplanned Hiatus

A black and white closeup of the wheels of a steam locomotive.
As my regular readers will have noticed, I’ve been a little bit lax in posting of late. So, as I’m finally back on track and ready to get on with somewhat regular posting again, I thought I’d let you know something of why.
My posting schedule had become a bit more infrequent when I started some new work around last November. Unfortunately, the nature of the work means I can’t talk about what it is publicly (and if you know, as some of you will, please don’t you talk about it publicly either). Work that pays solid money is always going to have to take priority, at least until such time as this blog somehow earns me something solid towards my living costs (and slim chance of that, though if you think it deserves it please do consider contributing to my Patreon – the more I’m making there, the more reliable my posting will be). So while that work is variable, I’m going to take all the days I can of it in order to be financially not-in-a-crisis. Having this work is good news, it means my wife and I are a little more secure (though not as secure as we would be if it were a reliable, set amount of work), and that’s great. It does mean other things were under a little more pressure and some things got squeezed out.
Then, in August, we bought a flat (thanks to the generosity, and perhaps some degree of enlightened self-interest, of relatives). Then we moved into the flat. Then we had to get everything sorted in the flat – no actual serious work on it, but cleaning, furniture, unpacking, rearranging furniture, more furniture arriving necessitating more rearranging, repacking to move things between rooms, unpacking again… you get the idea. This has been far more time than I think I was expecting. Obviously, my work had to take priority, and then my commitments to my Area Meeting. Those commitments slipped a little as well, and preparation for AM Trustees meetings got a little bit haphazard, but we’ve weathered that and should come out the stronger for it, I think.
The thing is, it’s not just the having less time to actually sit down and write. It’s not even having less time to sit down and do research and planning and reading in preparation for that writing. All my writing for this blog, even the most analytic and deliberate writing, flows from some degree of thought and reflection. I think about things and then other things occur to me, and then I write about them. In terms of time free from other demands, I could have sat down and bashed out a couple of thousand words a week, at least, if I had the couple of thousand words to write.
I find this about writing generally, except possibly the most academic or functional writing. If there’s anything creative about it at all, then it needs a lot going on in my head when I’m not writing. Ideas circulate, bubble up, intermingle, undergo a sort of conceptual meiosis sometimes. If I’m spending so much of my time thinking about urgent things and so stressed about them that this background fermentation of thoughts doesn’t happen, or gets arrested before it can reach the stage where I have a solid idea to put in storage and work on later.
Having the flat is also a good thing, by the way. It’s a nice flat. Here’s some photos, selected so as to not give away – even to someone with local knowledge – where precisely it is. I like to be kind of careful about that.
A photograph of an alcove of a room, with a window in the wall. The alcove is packed with furniture and boxes.
Shortly after the movers moved most of our stuff.
A woman sits at a table in front of the alcove from the last picture. The alcove is now clear of boxes, and has a desk and other furniture arranged appropriately within it.
Things a little more sorted - look, desks, and a dining table (and my wife)!
Several empty bookcases and a plastic drawer unit. A cushioned wooden armchair is just in frame at the bottom left, and a door on the far wall opens onto a kitchen.
Bookcases are very important, as will become clear.
A bookcase filled with books, with a pile of books in front of it. Boxes and other items are visible around the bookcase.
See. Books.
Two shelves of a bookcase with a few games on, including "XCOM The Board Game", "Junta!", a French edition of "Diplomacy", "Medieval Merchant", "Zombies!!!" and a box of poker chips.
Also games. This is with a tiny fraction of the collection shelved.
Three bookcases, the left and central one full of books, the right one partially filled. Boxes of books are visible in the lower left, and folded wooden chairs lean against the middle bookshelf.
More books.
A close-up of the board-game bookcase, with a few more games on it. A printed label on the shelf reads "Anduin".
Oh yeah, we're naming the bookcases.
A dresser, or sideboard (depending on who you ask) with three cupboards and a full surface on the lower portion, and a raised upper portion with two wooden cupboards and a glass-fronted cupboard with two doors.
This dresser came from a charity shop. The biggest ones are cheap, because not many people want
them and they're hard to move. I can certainly testify as to the latter point, even with delivery.
Many, many more board games on the bookcase. I'm not going to try and list them. Sorry.
There, that's most of the game collection shelved... there's more on top of the bookcase, too.
A slightly more organised living room, including me reclined on an electric recliner sofa. Also visible are the cushioned wooden armchair seen in an earlier shot, a shoe rack/bench, a dining table, a side unit beside the sofa, the corner of another sofa, and a wooden chest acting as a coffee table between the sofas.
Finally making use of the single biggest purchase we made as part of the move - an
electric double recliner sofa with separate motorised headrests. It's wonderful.
More sadly, this has also led to me missing Meeting for Worship a lot. I'm further from the meeting house now, so it takes less of an illness to keep me from making the journey, and I've just been so busy (and frequently overtired) that I can't afford to lose the half-day from productive things (or occasionally sleep). New years, new beginnings, and I intend to make it far more reliably in 2020 than I have in the back half of 2019.
So, you’ll see a post soon about birthright Quakers, and then there’s one coming soon about simplifying our Meeting structures. There’s a bit of written ministry bubbling away about purity, and there’s lots more ideas for me to write about deliberately. Plus I can get back to my series of reflections on my ‘Maxims and Aphorisms’. I hope to be sharing a lot more with you again soon, and the new year seems an apt time to be getting on with it.
If you enjoy this blog, or otherwise find it worthwhile, please consider contributing to my Patreon. More information about this, and the chance to comment, can be found in the post announcing the launch of my Patreon.