Tuesday 3 August 2021

A Choice Between ‘Are’ and ‘Aren’t’

Transgender flag

“Trans women are women”.

That’s a statement I agree with. Also that trans men are men.

I acknowledge that it is a little simplistic, it misses nuance. There are things that differentiate trans women from those assigned female at birth, of course there are. But there’s one thing that makes me quite sure that it’s right to say that trans women are women.

Just look at the opposite statement. I could never, never say that trans women aren’t women. It would be counter to my own experience, a betrayal of the truth I see in my heart, and a betrayal of some good friends.

If it’s a choice between “are” and “aren’t”, I know which one I’ll come down on in this question, every time.

Written June 2020

If you enjoy this blog, or otherwise find it worthwhile, please consider contributing to my Patreon. More information about this, and the chance to comment, can be found in the post announcing the launch of my Patreon.